• hall-icon Municipal Center 801-774-1000
  • Untitled_design__8_-removebg-preview Municipal Center Hours Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Friday 8:00 a.m. to Noon
  • swim-icon Aquatic Center 801-774-8590
  • phone-icon Non-Emergency Dispatch 801-395-8221
  • water-icon Water Outage 801-774-1000
  • Notified-removebg-preview Privacy Notice
  • Admin_for_web-removebg-preview City Manager: Matt Andrews,    Assistant City Manager: Brody Flint,    City Recorder: Brittany Fowers,    City Attorney: Matt Wilson
  • General

    I got a ticket. What do I do?
    You must first determine if a court appearance is required; you may do this by contacting the court or by accessing the Bail Schedule (PDF).

    Many traffic tickets can be taken care of without a courtroom appearance either through the mail, online or at the Justice Court payment window.

    Making Payments
    You may make a payment in several different ways:
    1. You may send a cashier’s check or money order payable to the Justice Court to :
      Roy City Justice Court
      5051 S 1900 W
      Roy City, UT 84067
      Please ensure that your citation number or case number is printed clearly on the payment. If you don’t have those numbers, please make sure your name is written legibly on the payment.
    2. You may also pay online at the Utah Courts Epayment website. There is a convenience fee charge to you to use this service. The rate varies and you will be informed of it before you authorize the payment.
    3. You may pay in person at our payment window by:
      • Business check
      • Cash
      • Cashier’s check
      • Credit or debit card
      • Money order
      Our payment window does not close for lunch and our clerks are available Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.-Noon. We are closed on all major holidays.

    Receipt of Payment
    If you pay by mail or by using a credit card on-line or over the phone, and you wish to have a receipt sent to you, you will need to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your payment.

    I wish to contest/fight the charges. What are my options?
    If your charges are non-mandatory, you may request to have your case set for a Pretrial hearing. This allows you a chance to speak with the prosecutor.

    If your charges are mandatory, you must set a court date in order to enter a not guilty plea. Please contact the Court within your 14 days in order to set an arraignment court date.

    To access the contact information for the Court, visit our Justice Court page.
    Do I have to go to court?
    If your charge is mandatory appearance required, then you need to schedule a court date. You may access the Uniform Fine/Bail Forfeiture Schedule to assist you in determining if you need to set a court date. If you are unable to determine if you need a court date, please contact the court to assist you.

    To access the Uniform Fine/Bail Forfeiture Schedule, visit the Utah Courts website.
    Do I have any warrants?
    You may contact our Court between the hours of 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday - Friday in order to determine if you have a warrant.

    Please be aware that the warrant will not be recalled until payment is received in full. You may set a court date, but the warrant remains active until either the bail is paid or you have been seen by a Judge.

    If you feel you have warrants in other courts, you may contact them individually or call the Bureau of Criminal Identification at 801-965-4445 seven days a week, 24 hours a day. They will provide you with the name of the appropriate Court to contact, the case and warrant number. Please make sure you have a pen and paper ready before you call.
    Can I take the Defensive Driving Course?
    The Defensive Driving Course can be taken once in a 3 year period for a reduction of 50 points off your Utah driving record, along with some other benefits.
    For more information on this course, please visit the Utah Safety Council website.
    Can I do traffic school?
    Currently, the Roy/Weber Justice Court does offer traffic school. To see if you qualify you may call the court 7 business days after receiving your citation. You may also attend the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course if you wish which usually results in a reduction of 50 points.

    This Court does not currently authorize traffic courses in other states for any defendant who has an out of state driver’s license in order to keep the ticket off their record. Please contact your state DMV for any questions you may have about how your ticket will affect your record.

    For more information on the Safety Council's Defensive Driving course, please visit the Utah Safety Council website.

    Driver's License

    I received a letter from Driver's License Division. What do I do?
    If you have received a letter from Driver’s License Division, it is imperative that you act accordingly; often you have a limited amount of time in which to avoid some type of action being taken on your license.

    Please contact Driver’s License Division at 801-965-4437 or toll free at 800-222-0038 for any questions you may have which are not answered in the letter.

    If the letter directs you to contact the Roy City Justice Court, please contact us immediately at 801-774-1051 so we may assist you.
    Is my Driver's License suspended?
    Please contact the Driver’s License Division about questions concerning your license at 801-965-4437 or toll free at 800-222-0038.

    If it is determined that your license is suspended and you need further action from the court, please obtain a court case number so we may better assist you.
    How long do I have to change my Driver's License address?
    Pursuant to 53-3-216, you are required to change your driver’s license address within ten (10) days of your move.

    If you possess a commercial driver’s license, you must change your address within thirty (30) days and you must do it in person at Driver’s License Division.

    For this and any other driver’s license related questions, we recommend visiting the Utah Department of Public Safety Driver's License Division.

    My Record

    Is it possible to keep a ticket from showing on my record?
    Any considerations to be given to a defendant in keeping a ticket from showing on your record must be authorized by the prosecutor’s office and the Judge.

    In order to do this, you must set a court date; further instructions will be given in court.

    For more information, contact the Justice Court of Roy City.
    How many points will this ticket add to my record?
    Please refer to the Utah Driver Handbook for points assessed on certain violations.

    For more information, or to receive assistance you may also contact the Utah Driver’s License Division directly at 801-965-4437 or toll free 800-222-0038.

    To download or view the Driver Handbook online, visit the Driver's License Division website.
    How do I expunge my record?
    The expungement process can be made easy by following a few simple steps. Most of your questions can be answered by doing this and will help eliminate confusion and back-tracking:
    1. Please review the State of Utah's Certificate of Eligibility and submit an application to the Department of Public Safety's Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) for your Certificate of Eligibility before proceeding to step 2.
    2. Once you have applied for and received your Certificate of Eligibility, please print the Expungement Packet and follow the convenient instructions.

    Paying Fines

    How much do I owe?
    You may access the Administrative Office of the Court’s State Bail Schedule for information on bail amounts set by the State of Utah. Please be sure to access the bail schedule for the Justice Courts.

    Please be aware that any charge requiring a mandatory court appearance will need to be addressed by the Court.

    For more information, or to access the Bail Schedule, visit the Utah Courts website.
    Can I make payments?
    On non-mandatory charges, an extension may be given but typically fine needs to be paid in full by due date.

    On mandatory charges and any other type of payment arrangement, you will need to have a payment plan authorized by the Judge.

    To set a court date, contact the Justice Court.
    Can I submit payment online?
    It is possible to pay online through the Utah Courts Epayments website.

    Locating Your Ticket
    If the ticket does not come up on your search, then wait a few days and try accessing again, as it can take up to 7 business days for a ticket to appear on our system.

    Please be sure to select our (Roy City) Court in the drop down menu for Courts to ensure proper payment and that your name appears. You will also need a citation or case number.

    Once you select the ticket and pay, the payment update is immediate.

    Processing Fee
    Please be aware a processing fee is assessed when using the online service. You will be notified of the fee before your payment is accepted.

    Contacting the Court
    If it has been more than 7 business days since you received the ticket and it still isn’t coming up on the search, please contact the Court.
    Can I pay my ticket with a credit/debit card?
    Yes. You may appear in person at the Justice Court payment window located at 5051 South 1900 West in Roy, Utah.
    Can I get an extension to pay my fine?
    Pursuant to Rule 4-704(1) of the Code of Judicial Administration, the clerks are allowed to give a short extension on payments of bail or fines.

    To see if you can receive an extension, please contact the Justice Court.