• hall-icon Municipal Center 801-774-1000
  • Untitled_design__8_-removebg-preview Municipal Center Hours Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Friday 8:00 a.m. to Noon
  • swim-icon Aquatic Center 801-774-8590
  • phone-icon Non-Emergency Dispatch 801-395-8221
  • water-icon Water Outage 801-774-1000
  • Recent News

    Building Inspections and COVID-19 safety?

    Precautions will be taken when doing building inspections. 

    For safety against COVID-19, the Building Inspector may ask questions and/or take other  precautions, prior to entering a building/home for an inspection. 

    If you have an inspection scheduled and have been exposed to COVID-19 or are in isolation, please call 801-774-1040 to cancel and reschedule your inspection. 

    Do I Need a Building Permit?

    Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

    The Following Can Apply for a Building Permit On-line?

    • All Residential Single-Family and Two-Family Dwelling building permits can be applied for on-line. This includes new builds, additions, remodels, basement finishes, decks, detached structures, solar, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, etc.
    • All Commercial and Multi-Family building permits can also be applied for on-line however; Planning and Zoning requirements need to be fulfilled prior to submittal.

    Click here to obtain information to apply for permits on-line

    Building Permit Applications are also available in the Community Development Department at the Roy City Municipal Building.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Permits Not Required for

    1. Accessory buildings with a maximum height of 10 feet and a maximum size of 200 square feet shall not require a building permit, provided:
      • All setback requirements for the zone in which the accessory building is located are met
      • No portion of the accessory building extends over any property line
      • No storm water runoff from the accessory building is allowed to run onto the adjacent property
      There is no application or review for all accessory buildings under 200 square feet.  If you have any questions to establish compliance with the setback and runoff requirements, please contact Planning and Zoning.
    2. Fences not over six feet high.
    3. Retaining walls that are not over four feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.