Building Permits & Inspections

Do I Need a Building Permit?

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

Building Permit Applications are available in the Community Development Department at the Roy City Municipal Building.

Frequently Asked Questions

Permits Not Required for

  1. Accessory buildings with a maximum height of 10 feet and a maximum size of 200 square feet shall not require a building permit, provided:
    • All setback requirements for the zone in which the accessory building is located are met
    • No portion of the accessory building extends over any property line
    • No storm water runoff from the accessory building is allowed to run onto the adjacent property
    There is no application or review for all accessory buildings under 200 square feet.  If you have any questions to establish compliance with the setback and runoff requirements, please contact Planning and Zoning.
  2. Fences not over six feet high.
  3. Retaining walls that are not over four feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.